Monday, April 4, 2011

Rear wheel becomes the front…






When comparing the front and rear hubs I noticed that they looked fairly similar. They both use 150 x 28 brake shoes, but the rear hub has larger bearings and is about 20mm wider, so you cannot lace the rear rim to the front hub (spoke angles are different). The front brake plate slots perfectly into the rear hub. So it looks fairly likely that I can run the rear hub and rim on the front! I will to see if I can get bearings that fit the OD of the hub and the ID of the smaller axle. According to wemoto.com the front bearings are 12x32x10 and the rear left is 17x40x12 and right rear is 17x47x14. So that means I need 12x40x12 and a 12x47x14. Will do a mock up of the whole setup sometime this week. I'm not concerned about the lack of a speedo drive as I will be using an electronic unit anyway.

The DR400 rear rim is 18x2.15 which will allow me to run up to a 110/90 front tyre according to the 2011 Michelin tyre fitment guide: http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/pubs/fitment2011.pdf

The rim is a little beaten up and has one small flat spot, which will come out with a little heat and a shaped male and female dolly. I also bought a JOSCO metal polishing kit just to see if I really make that rim shine. I also have brand new zinc plated spokes that I got for nothing which I will also use.

I missed out on the DR400 pictured in my last post, gotta be quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment