Tuesday, November 22, 2016

6 volt to 12 volt trouble-shooting


Problem: the indicator & neutral idiot lights do not work in the LCD gauge unit. The high beam idiot light does (WTF)....If you recall the XL500S has a 6 volt ignition system and the LCD gauge unit is 12 volt. So using the above converter, we can feed 12 volts into the gauges only, without effecting
anything else! I have lost most of my electrical connectors, wire, solder, globes and multimeter when I moved again last year  Damn it! I borrowed a multimeter and took some voltage readings with some interesting results. The battery is putting out 6 volts at the terminals and the reading at the guage power wire is only 10 volts. At the indicator idiot lights I got readings of 2.9 volts (right) and 2.6 volts (left) and at the neutral idiot light reads 9.1 volts. I don't have a reading for the high beam idiot light as the engine needs to be running. But it seems as though the first thing I need to do is up the output voltage of the converter from 10 volts to 12 volts. How? By adding a 4.7k potentiometer and twisting the knob to turn up the voltage to a full 12 volts of power! At least I know the neutral switch works!

No comments:

Post a Comment